St Peter’s School RC Academy
Bournemouth Borough Council
Design & Build
Form of Contract
1 new start technical with SWSA
Phase 3C was part of an overall project that comprised 5 phases. St Peters School is a Roman Catholic Academy divided into 2 sites. The Iford site accommodates year 7&8 and the Southbourne accommodates the remainder of the school. The aim of the overall project was to merge year 7&8 into the Southbourne site so the overall secondary school is then located on one site.
Phase 3C New Build located in an existing school site, located on the schools existing sports field consisting of:
- 3300sqm of teaching accommodation
- 16 classrooms
- Two art studios
- Two science labs/classrooms
- Dining hall and kitchen
- Main hall
- Changing facilities
- Staff offices
- Four multi use games area (MUGA) pitches
- Associated landscaping
- Staff car park
“The Wates team provided a superb service from start to completion of the project.”
- Wates adopted St Peters School as part of Constructing Excellence Adopt a School initiative
- Wates held a Building Futures employability programme
- One new start technical apprentice with SWSA
Design and budget not aligned
It was apparent at Mini Comp 2 that the budget was insufficient to meet the design aspiration so Wates carried out a full design review and redesigned the scheme to achieve the brief within budget. In addition, rationalisation of sport England requirements enabling significant savings.
Operating within school term times
The programme was extremely tight and was also dictated by school term times, therefore a clear schedule was planned and followed carefully.
- Works in existing school buildings were carried out outside school term to avoid disruption
- Site logistics developed to ensure that the new construction works were completely isolated from the school operation and access to minimise disruption
- Cut and fill exercise carried out resulting in revised building levels minimising cart-away and omitted retaining wall by moving the building 3 metres.
- £8 million value building
- Teaching facilities to accommodate 480 secondary school pupils
KPI’s & Statistics
Contact: Neil Channon, Framework Manager